Founded in 1926, Wooster School is a co-educational, 5-12, college preparatory day school with an enrollment of approximately 350 students, and a regional leader in student-centered education. The School is located in Danbury, Connecticut. By design and mission, it educates a student population diverse in academic ability, socioeconomic background, religious affinity, and race and ethnicity. Wooster is a member of the Connecticut Association of Independent Schools and the National Association of Independent Schools.
While Wooster’s traditions of self-help and relationship-building have long been recognized as strengths, our more recent commitment to innovative approaches to teaching and learning are making us a leader in the independent school world. We are committed to a learner-centered environment for our students, and to exploring the full potential of competency-based and personalized teaching and learning.
Wooster School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we provide a work environment that welcomes diversity. In addition to a competitive salary, employees receive retirement, health insurance, tuition remission, short and long term disability and life insurance benefits.
All employees are subject to a criminal background check before any contractual offer is final.
Working closely with our Director of Facilities this person is responsible for general maintenance, cleaning, grounds keeping and other related work.
Example of Responsibilities
- Perform cleaning activities such as dusting, mopping etc.
- Perform minor fixes such as repairing broken locks, filling gaps on walls etc.
- Install appliances such as window air conditioners and equipment
- Do garden/yard upkeep by mowing lawn, collecting trash, raking leaves, cutting up trees, removing snow, etc.
- Conduct maintenance tasks such as replacing light bulbs
- Check functionality of safety systems (e.g. fire alarm)
- Collaborate with workers and other professionals during renovations
- Report to a facilities or maintenance manager for issues
- Move furniture
- Change Filters in HVAC systems
- Set up and break down tables for different events
- Operate machinery such as small excavators or backhoes
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Previous experience with a “trade” is necessary (plumbing, carpentry, electrical, HVAC, custodial experience)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Physical stamina and dexterity is necessary
- Experience using hand tools
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team: ability to lead and to follow
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule, including occasional evenings, weekends and overtime
- High personal standards, attention to detail, and a collaborative, can-do, and positive disposition
- The desire to learn about and contribute to our school outside of immediate job responsibilities
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time, non-exempt hourly position. Hourly wages and benefits are competitive with local independent schools. A competitive benefits package includes retirement, health insurance, tuition remission, short and long-term disability, and life insurance.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest which includes prior experience and references (or a letter of interest and resume) to:
Apply on Indeed
Wooster School is looking for substitute teachers with teacher training and experience with students in grades 5th through 12th. Please send resumes and letter of interest to Mary Beth Brady at firstname.lastname@example.org.